HREF='http://freestats.com CLASS=ivanL_FR TARGET=_blank>FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com'

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Zeeeeeeeeeummm!

I couldn't sum up everything ZEUM is in one sentence. There are so many possibilities and amazing things that happen here. I just started working here for the summer, and it has already blown me away. It was what I expected and much much more. From the outside, Zeum already stands out from many other museums from it's funky spiral shape and glass exterior. The kids that come by are just awesome. It really brings me back to when I was younger and had a limitless imagination. It's true that children see the world in a completely different perspective, and I'm so grateful that I can be in on the action and that I get to witness this every day I work at Zeum. The creativity just bounces from wall to wall in this building and the energy is always up! After joining the ZeumMaster team I got really excited and I already wanted to show off how great Zeum was to my friends and family. I think it's really great to have a place like Zeum for children to explore their creative sides and break out of their shell. There are so many opportunities here and although this is a children's museum, it's also a place where adults can go back and do things they may not have had the chance to do when they were younger. It's really true that everyone is a kid at heart.

The exhibits in Zeum are crazy. My favorites are definitely the Music Production Lab (MPL) and the Animators Studio. It's really fun watching all these different people sing together. I feel like I've learned so much about myself from this program. I hope that Zeum can expand to touch many more lives. In the Music Production Lab, it's really touching to see kids to come in shy but then by the time they're supposed to go up, they rock out and have a super fun time. It feels really awesome to be contributing to their experience here at Zeum, and I hope their time here is something they won't forget. At the MPL I've already made many memories with the visitors and with my peers. I love to sing, but I usually save that for when I'm at home or with my close friends. When I first became a ZeumMaster, I wasn't very comfortable on the stage but after a couple days, I love the stage and connecting with the visitors.

The Animators studio is so great because here the kids can make their own Claymation movie or go to another part of the exhibit and make a 2D or 3D animation. The visitors just love the studio and some stay for hours to perfect their clay characters and such. As a kid I didn't even know how animation was made but with this opportunity, the visitors have a chance to make movies like the ones they see on TV and the big screen. I love to just sit with the visitors and just listen to what story they've cooked up and the big plans they have for their animation. Their ideas are inspiring and they think so out of the box.

The smaller exhibits we have can also make a huge impact, like with our Lego and Colorform exhibit, I've seen some crazy things that visitors make and it really opens my eyes. How a Lego wall could be transformed into something completely different, it's really amazing. The visitors' personalities are displayed clearly through their artwork, and their stories.

The staff here is amazing and they couldn't be any greater. I love working at Zeum and I can't wait to make more memories here.

If you haven't been here, you're missing out!

-- Shelley [:

2 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

hi shelley, nice post.. glad u love zeum. intersting

Joy Wong Daniels said...

Hi Shelley,

It sounds like you are really enjoying your experience at Zeum: San Francisco's children's museum! From reading your post, I can sense your enthusiasm and pride for your new role as a ZeumMaster.

I hope that you will continue to share your experiences regularly through this blog. I think that visitors to this site will find your unique observations and interactions with the kids interesting and insightful. Also, we'd love to hear about the new things that YOU are learning as a ZeumMaster!

I especially liked your statement which personally resonated with me: "There are so many opportunities here and although this is a children's museum, it's also a place where adults can go back and do things they may not have had the chance to do when they were younger. It's really true that everyone is a kid at heart."

Enjoy your internship and I look forward to hearing more about it! Please encourage your fellow ZeumMasters to contribute to the blog and share it with as many people (friends, classmates, teachers, parents, and mentors) as you can -- it's the best viral way to get the word out about Zeum!

Good luck! :)

Joy Wong Daniels
Marketing & PR Manager at Zeum
jwdaniels@zeum.org
http://www.zeum.org