HREF='http://freestats.com CLASS=ivanL_FR TARGET=_blank>FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com'

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Creativity Explored visits Zeum

"Through art, many find voice for the first time. The work they create is uncensored, fearless, innovative and fresh."
- quote from creativity explored brochure


My first day back at Zeum after a long list of leave requests met me with the opportunity to hear about Creativity Explored. Catherine, a friend of Mathew, came in this morning to speak about a local bay area organization, Creativity Explored, a program that works with mentally disabled adults, helping them create art. The pictures you see are from their website: www.creativityexplored.org.

She began by describing the various disabilities many of the artists have, ranging from autism to down syndrome and their ability to create amazing art with their different physical and mental obstacles. Catherine then walked us through various pieces of art and how they came to be, describing the artists and their specific stories. She explained that each artist had their own unique style and most used the repetitive colors and shapes throughout their pieces. I remembered thinking that if i had seen these in an art gallery i would have never thought that the artists had disabilities. They were that good.

Mathew then brought up the issue of communicating with people who have different needs. How do you communicate with someone who can't talk? I thought about it more and more, how could this possibly work. I related this to life at Zeum. Children come in all the time too shy to attempt anything. Some kids just need a little inspiration, others an example or two, and some kids would rather you walk them step by step. Making it simple, is the way I usually handle the oh so common "I'm not good at singing" or "I can't make that" or "How come my character didn't come out like that" pointing to the collection of infamous Miguel clay characters.

I admit i feel the same way as these children do, I limit my creativity ability based on my past experiences with art. There was always someone who had a more popular collage in the fourth grade or a more impressing combination of similies and metaphors in my seventh grade poetry exhibition. Catherine brought up a good observation, many of these artists are so talented and unique because they aren't affected by others. They create art without questioning themselves because they don't worry about the times or the latests trends.

I was inspired.

3 comments:

Michelle F. said...

I ENJOYED THE SPEAKER TELLING US ABOUT HER EXPERIENCE THERE AND HOW SHE WORKED WITH SOME OF THE PEOPLE ALSO. I LIKED THE PICTURES THAT SHE SHOWED US. WITHOUT TELLING US ANYTHING ABOUT THE BACKGROUND ON THE ARTIST I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THAT A VERY WELL DEVELOPED ARTIST MADE IT. IT'S GOOD THAT THEY HAVE TALENTS THAT CAN BE SHARED WITH EVERYBODY AND DOING SOMETHING THAT MAKES THEM HAPPY I REALLY WANT TO SEE MORE ART BY THE PEOPLE AT CREATIVITY EXPLORED.

Anonymous said...

The paintings that Katherine brought in for us were so varied, and I agree with Monique - I wouldn't have guessed they were from differently-abled people at first glance.

One of my friends has autism, and while he is a very talented artist in his own medium (photography), the disconnect between his verbal abilities and what he wants/trys to convey is obvious. I hope I can attend the opening next Thursday, because the artwork was very inspiring!

Michael M. said...

I really like this blog since it relate to me..nice job for sharing