HREF='http://freestats.com CLASS=ivanL_FR TARGET=_blank>FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com'

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Parting Thoughts of a ZeumMaster

Being that this is my last day at Zeum, I wanted to share a couple memories at this place known as an "arts and technology museum for kids of all ages."

In my last post I wrote about the expectations of the media on young Latina girls - what the media expects of me vs. what I want to be. With this experience and new knowledge, Zeum has led to being a step closer in being what I want to be and not what was expected of me by the media.

My typical day at Zeum usually began with my late arrival (5 minutes after 10am). I would rush in, put on my shirt fast, put on my badge and storm into the Animators studio, where I'd find everyone in a meeting sitting quietly. I would try to sneak in, but then Christian always noticed and gave me the "You're late again?" look.

As they continued with the meeting, everyone would be listening attentively while I'd be trying to get my heart beat to slow back down. Then we'd check in and everyone would say how they felt and some random thing, ("I feel hungry and I like hippos"... random). My favorite mornings were when we would all cut clay and talk about movies (perry would always know all the showtunes and sing them for us). By about 10:50 we'd be ready to open the museum and we'd spread out to different rooms. (Usually animators, everyone feels that they've been in the animators room too many times).

As we walked up the 4 flights of stairs
(Exaggeration according to Ari) we took our time and sometimes had detours. Once we were in our assigned destinations, we turned everything on, got all the materials ready and waited as the kids arrived.

When I'd get to my station/exhibit, I was suddenly the director, producer and technician. I was in charge (They must have really trusted me to put me in charge.... Just Kidding). As the day went on I'd dance, laugh, sing, animate and all of a sudden it would be 5pm. We'd turn everything off and march our way singing and laughing into the animators studio once again to reflect on the day.

As I leave Zeum and reflect on these typical days (although some days were not this typical!) I realize that I learned how to, make a music video, make a production, make an animation. Things I never even knew I was capable of doing. Thank You. But I also learned more to the technology part of Zeum, I learned the art of being a co-worker, filling out a time sheet, (filling out leave requests), but most of all the art of making new friendships.

Once again, Thanks Guys/Girls.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gaby, your post is going to make me cry, i feel like i'm never going to see you again. tear. tear. Working here is not going to be as fun without you're already missed
-monique

Angee said...

awwe gaby. im going to miss you hella! summer isn't going to be the same! AND you better come and visit