HREF='http://freestats.com CLASS=ivanL_FR TARGET=_blank>FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com'

Saturday, May 12, 2007

How Do You Define Human Rights?

Through the years my ideas about human rights have changed. I grew up with the perception that human rights violation happened in countries distraught by war and corrupt politicians. The media has presented human rights violation as torturing prisoners and murdering entire villages and I easily accepted the idea that this had no relation to my environment. That changed when I took notice of what was going around me. I have come up with my own definition on human rights: The right to feel safe.

For Example, a ZeumMaster left her purse near the programing station in Main Gallery and later found it at the bottom of the stairs with all her belongings stolen. She lost her phone, her iPod, but more importantly she lost her sense of safety. Having your belongings stolen - Could that be categorized as a human rights violation? When we're in an environment where we feel completely comfortable, having something as unfortunate as this happen makes the experience that much worse. You have the right to feel that not only you are safe, but your processions are as well. Although some may not agree I would categorize this event as a human rights violation.

It could have happened anywhere. And I love Zeum. But I just want to say that even your safe places can be violated.

I'm doing a documentary project where I'm interviewing Zeum staff members and strangers and using their experiences and their definitions of human rights to create a video. I'm going to record them as they answer the following questions: How would you define human rights? What do you need to feel safe? Have you ever felt unsafe?

I hope to show that feeling safe is a simple right that everyone deserves. Human rights violation does not have to be as intense a physical torture, for it to make someone feel uncomfortable. Everyone has stories and I want to share them.

Creating a documentary will not only give me the opportunity to use a video camera and edit, but using real stories with real people will create a strong message.

3 comments:

Michelle F. said...

THAT'S A VERY GOOD ISSUE TO TACKLE WITH IT IS SOMETHING THAT WE R FACED WITH EVERYDAY AND SOMETIMES MANY DONT LIKE TO TALK ABOUT IT BUT IT IS COOL THAT U CAN TALK ABOUT THINGS THAT AFFECT US ALL ESPECIALLY RIGHTS THAT WE HAVE AS A HUMAN BEING LIKE BEING SAFE

Angee said...

sounds like a really cool documentary. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT! a really good topic that not a lot people think about. cooooool!

Avia said...

wow! very important issue and it's great that you're bringing it up and using it for your final project. excited to see it!